Riot Games revealed the mechanics trailer for Hey, an artist mage who promises to be the most complex champion in the game. His kit is based on combination of skills and provides 10 different effectsranging from harm to utility.
Skills of the new champion Hwei
Hwei’s greatest strength is the ability to combine his “paintings” for unique abilities. The list of possibilities is long, which makes him the most complex champion in LoL.
Below, see all of Hwei’s skill combinations in detail:
Passive: Signature of the Visionary
Hwei marks enemy Champions with his signature finishing touch, first damaging them with his abilities. Hitting an enemy with two damaging abilities places their signature on the ground they are standing on. The signature detonates after a brief delay, dealing magic damage to all enemies within range.
Devastating Fire (QQ)
Hwei paints a flaming fireball that flies in the target direction. It explodes on the first enemy hit or at maximum range, dealing magic damage and a percentage of maximum health as magic damage to all enemies in an area.
Cutting Radius (QW)
Hwei paints a long-range devastating beam at the target location. After a delay, the lightning strikes, dealing magic damage. Immobilized or isolated enemies take increased damage based on the Health lost.
Molten Fissure (QE)
Hwei paints a field of explosive volcanic eruptions that leave a trail of lava in their wake. Each eruption deals magic damage to enemies hit. Enemies in the lava area suffer Magic Damage per second and Slow.
Fleeting Current (WQ)
Hwei paints a stream of turbulent water in a straight line that, for a few seconds, grants him and his allies Movement Speed.
Lagoa da Reflexão (WW)
Hwei creates a protective pond at the target location that lasts for a few seconds. Allied champions within it immediately receive a Shield, the value of which increases over a few seconds while they are in the area.
Living Lights (WE)
Hwei paints three flickering lights that surround him for several seconds. Hwei’s next three attacks or abilities deal additional magic damage and grant Mana on hit.
Sinister Countenance (EQ)
Hwei launches a terrifying face that strikes the first enemy hit, dealing magic damage and causing them to flee for a short period.
Gaze from the Abyss (EW)
Hwei paints an abyssal eye on the target location that grants vision and stares at the nearest visible enemy champion. After a short delay, the eye fires at the target Champion, rooting the first enemy hit in its path for a few seconds and dealing Magic Damage to them.
Crushing Maw (EE)
Hwei paints crushing jaws that deal magic damage to enemies hit and pulls them towards the center, inflicting a fixed Slow value that decays quickly.
Dizzying Despair (R)
Hwei fires a vision of pure desperation that clings to an enemy champion for a few seconds. The vision expands and overwhelms all enemies hit, dealing magic damage per second. Enemies within the zone suffer stacks of Despair over time. Each stack of Despair applies a cumulative Slow percentage. The vision shatters upon completion, dealing Magic Damage.
Champion Hwei’s Weaknesses
Despite the large skill kit, the Hwei champion is quite fragile and needs good mana management. Furthermore, choosing certain skill combinations means giving up some attributes.
For example, if you choose to deal damage in lane, you will be without utility skills for a while, or vice versa. Here’s a summary of Hwei’s weaknesses:
- Limitation on Skill Choice: After using a Torment spell, Hwei is temporarily without access to control abilities, creating a window of vulnerability.
- Fragility: Hwei has low stamina and survivability, making him susceptible to sieges, ambushes, and assassin attacks.
- Mana Management: Hwei has a limited Mana pool, requiring frequent retreats to recover or exchange Ability Power for more Mana.
- Vulnerability to Powerful Pokes: Due to his low health and less reliable poke abilities, Hwei is susceptible to artillery mages and other champions with effective ranged attacks.
- Disadvantage Against Certain Champions: Hwei may struggle against physical champions, assassins with mobility and range, and control mages with more poke.
- Risk in Offensive Combats: When going overboard on the offensive, Hwei can easily get caught in enemy crowd control due to his low stamina.
- Critical Positioning: Poor positioning can leave Hwei isolated and vulnerable, especially in team fights
Check out more details on the creation of Hwei’s abilities in Riot’s official post.
When does Hwei launch in LoL?
Hwie will be released in LoL in patch 13.24, scheduled for December 6, 2023. It will be the last patch of the year and will also bring several changes from the 2024 LoL Season.